Hirosaki University was established in the former castle town of Hirosaki in 1949. It is a national university and is located in Aomori Prefecture, situated at the northern end of Honshu Island.
- May, 1949
- Hirosaki Medical College, Aomori Medical School, Hirosaki Higher School, Aomori Normal School and Aomori Youth Normal School were incorporated in accordance with the National School Establishment Law into a "new-system" university with three faculties (Arts and Science, Education, Medicine) and a university library.
- Apr., 1965
- Faculty of Arts and Science reorganized into Faculty of Humanities and Faculty of Science.
- Apr., 1969
- One-Year Postgraduate Course in Science established. (Abolished in March, 1978.)
- Apr., 1977
- Graduate Course of Science (M.Sc.) established.
- Oct., 1997
- Faculty of Science and Faculty of Agriculture reorganized into "Faculty of Science and Technology" and "Faculty of Agriculture and Life Science".
- Apr., 2002
- Graduate School of Science and Graduate School of Agriculture reorganized into "Graduate School of Science and Technology" and "Graduate School of Agriculture and Life Science".
- Apr., 2004
- National University Corporation HIROSAKI UNIVERSITY established.
Graduate School of Science and Technology (Ph. D) established.
- Apr., 2006
- Faculty of Science and Technology reorganized by "Mathmatical Siences", "Advanced Physics", "Frontier Material Chemistry", "Electronics and Information Technology" and "Intelligent Machines and System Engineering".
- Apr., 2010
- Graduate School of Science and Technology reorganized into "Science and Technology Course".
- Apr., 2016
- Faculty of Science and Technology reorganized by "Mathmatics and Physics", "Global Environment and Disaster Prevention Science", "Mechanical Science and Engineering" and "Sustanable Energy".